Suppose you have Sophos Unified Threat Management (any edition, including the free home edition) and want to load sites like Google through country-specific proxy servers. This would allow people on your network to use a web-filtering proxy like Sophos UTM, while still leveraging FoxyProxy proxy servers for geo-specific testing. In the example below:
- https://google.pl and www.iplocation.net load through a Polish FoxyProxy proxy server
- https://google.es and www.iplocation.net load through a Spanish FoxyProxy proxy server
- All other sites through your default local proxy server
Many thanks to Rainer Quack for assistance.
- First, get your local proxy server configured as described here. Here is a screenshot from a fully functional installation of the free Sophos home edition. Click image for larger screenshot:
- Now define the first external (FoxyProxy) proxy server. Under Web Protection, Choose Web Filter Profiles -> Click button “+New Parent Proxy”. Click image for larger screenshot:
- Enter a name and comment, like “External proxy in poland”. Click image for larger screenshot:
- Under “Use Proxy for these hosts”, click on the green “+” sign and define the URLs you want to be redirected to this FoxyProxy server. In this example, we use: *.google.pl and *.iplocation.net. Then click Apply:
- Under Parent Proxy, check the “+” sign and add the DNS Name of your FoxyProxy proxy server. Don’t forget to correct the Port (usually 3128 or 13129):
- Check “Proxy requires authentication” and add the username and password that was given to you. In this example, you’ll see the username is “demo”.
- Don’t forget to click the Save button after entering this info. You should see this screen:
- Create additional proxies if needed. Here we create another but for Spain:
- Finally, enable the upstream proxies in your Webfilter Policy: Web Protection->Web Filtering->Policies Tab –> click “Default content filter action”:
- From the new window, choose Additional Options–>Network configuration–>Parent proxies. Enable the Parent Proxies and define the priority by clicking the Up/down Arrows:
Traffic will pass through the specified proxy only for the URLs defined in the upstream-proxy settings. In this example, it is www.google.pl and www.iplocation.net through Poland; www.google.es and www.whatsmyip.org through Spain. All other traffic passes through your UTM Proxy directly with your original external IP Address.